Our Mold Restoration Experts
Serving Lynchburg, VA and the Surrounding Cities.
If you have a mold situation in your home or business, you need certified professionals who can safely and effectively take care of the problem. As mold remediation experts, we use the most advanced tools and equipment in the industry. We apply systematic best practices we’ve developed over the 30-plus years we’ve been in the business.
What Is Mold?
Mold is a surface growth that can be visible or hidden from sight. It's a living organism that grows by extending thread-like strands (hyphae) and replicates by shedding spores. Mold can be very harmful or just an irritation. People can react differently to mold spores. Regardless of the effect – mild to fatal – mold that grows in our homes indicates a presence of water and a food source. Unfortunately, drywall, softwoods, or glued boards are a food source.
Health Risks of Mold
About 50 to 100 common types of indoor mold have the potential to create health problems. Due to the health risks associated with mold exposure, it is best to have mold remediation conducted as soon as you suspect its presence. Though the type of reaction depends upon the mold present, according to both the EPA and CDC, all molds have the potential to cause health issues such as the following:
- Breathing Difficulties
- Persistent Cough or Cold Symptoms
- Burning or Irritation of the Eyes, Nose, Throat or Lungs
- Asthma Attacks
- Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
- Skin Irritation
- Allergic Reactions
- Opportunistic Infections in Immune-Compromised Individuals
WE CAN HELP!
Let Us Take Care Of The Clean-Up in the Lynchburg, VA, Area
What To Do and What Not To Do If Your Suspect Mold Growth in Your Home
If you’ve just discovered mold in your home or business, you might be wondering what to do next. Mold only needs two or three days to start growing after a flood or other damaging water events. To avoid having a mold problem, check out the water recovery tips below and arrange to have the water removed within 48 hours, if possible.
You may have mold in a hidden place like under a floor, above a ceiling, or behind a wall. You need to have it inspected right away by a licensed and certified mold removal professional like Water Fire Mold of Lynchburg.
Mold is generally caused by a slow leak plumbing failure, too-humid indoor air, or a flood not professionally remediated.
Steps to take as soon as you detect mold:
- Cleaning with bleach and water, or other household disinfectants will not kill mold. Try to keep yourself, children, employees, and others out of the affected area. Attempting to dry the area with a fan might disturb the spores and spread them to a new area.
- If the mold is contained to a room with a door, keep the door closed.
- Call a locally based professional mold removal service, such as Water Fire Mold of Lynchburg. Make an appointment with Water Fire Mold of Lynchburg (available 24/7, 365 days a year at 434-478-0843).
- You may wish to notify your insurance company. Many homeowner’s insurance policies cover mold removal, and many policies require you to report your issue as soon as reasonably possible.
Our Mold Inspection Service and Mold Abatement Process
Mold remediation consists of determining the mold’s location and scope, identifying the type of mold, and then safely and completely killing it. In a small number of cases where moisture has caused structural rot, it is necessary to tear out moldy areas, repair, and reconstruct.
The first step in any mold abatement process is a thorough mold inspection completed by a mold specialist. There are multiple approaches to actual mold cleanup or remediation. A Water Fire Mold of Lynchburg mold and remediation specialist will work with you to decide on the best strategy for your space, depending on variables such as:
- The cause
- The scope
- The type
- The condition of the surface affected – drywall, wood, cinder block, cement, etc.
Water Fire Mold of Lynchburg's expert mold remediation includes:
- Mold Inspection: A Water Fire Mold of Lynchburg contractor will come into your home to identify moldy areas as well as the source of the problem. The contractor will then formulate a mold remediation plan.
- Mold Containment: We will address the source of the moisture problem. The affected area is closed off to avoid contaminating the rest of your home with mold spores stirred up during the removal process.
- Air Filtration: HEPA filters will be used to clean the air of mold spores and other particles. The Water Fire Mold of Lynchburg specialist will also wear goggles and masks to lessen any exposure to airborne contaminants.
- Mold Removal: Building materials and personal belongings in your home may be affected. Since mold is a living organism and deeply ingrains itself into materials to survive, it is best to dispose of anything porous. The safest and most effective way to ensure mold doesn’t return is to remove affected content. After we clean nonporous materials with antimicrobial cleaners, we often employ sealants to make treated areas more resistant to water and mold.
- Structural Drying: Cleaned and repaired items must remain thoroughly dry. Remember, excessive moisture is how the issue started. As a result, your Water Fire Mold of Lynchburg mold remediation specialist will likely cover moisture management strategies to ensure your home doesn’t encounter future issues.
- Home or Business Repair: After the removal of all mold-contaminated materials, the reconstruction process begins. Clean, mold-free materials will replace what was previously contaminated.
- Mold Testing: Following remediation, we search for any signs of recurrent water damage, moldy odors, or visible mold to ensure the cleanup has been completed.